Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pulled Pork (Slow Cooker)

I can't believe that summer is almost over! I haven't been cooking as much and I really miss it. My brother has become quite the grill master, but since he lives far away and I don't have a real grill I have to find other ways to make tasty meats in the summer. This is a recipe for pulled pork in the slow cooker. I made something similar last summer and it was fabulous, but of course I couldn't find the recipe when I was ready to make it this year. I looked at several different recipes and used what I could remember of the recipe last year.

3-5lbs Pork Shoulder (or what will fit into your slow cooker)

The Rub:
3 cloves garlic (I like Dorot)
1tsp Paprika
1tsp Smoked Paprika***
1tsp Cumin
3T Brown Sugar (light or dark is fine)
1T Chili Powder
1/2tsp White Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1T Balsamic Vinegar (for this recipe I used Cherry Balsamic)
1T Grey Poupon Country Dijon Mustard

1T Canola Oil

1 medium Sweet Onion, such as Vidalia, sliced
1 bottle Hard Cider (could use a summer beer as a substitute)
3T Tomato Paste
1/4c Apple Cider Vinegar
1T Balsamic Vinegar (I used the Cherry Balsamic here too)
1/2-1c Vegetable Stock (Chicken would be okay too)

Meat preparation: rinse the pork well and pat dry.

For the Rub: In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix well, add wet (garlic, vinegar and mustard) and mix well. You'll have a paste like substance. It's easiest to use your hands to rub the paste on all sides of the pork.

Heat a large skillet and add oil. Gently place the meat in the skillet taking the time to brown each of the 4 largest sides for approximately 5 minutes per side. You want to get a nice sear on each of the sides to help adhere the seasoning.

While the meat is cooking slice the onion and set aside. In a small bowl or measuring cup mix the cider, tomato paste, and two vinegars. Pour 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker, the remainder will be pored over the meat once it's in the slow cooker.

When all sides of the meat have been seared transfer it into the slow cooker. In the same skillet sautee the onions until slightly soft. Cooking tip: I like to cook my onions on a higher heat, but don't like it when they get burned. I use some stock to keep them slightly wet (you don't want them submerged). At this point you want to get all the good juicy bits of rub left in the pan from the meat immersed with the onions. When the onions are slightly soft (approx 5 to 10 minutes) pour over meat. Use remainder of stock to cover meat (so that the liquid comes to 3/4 of the way to cover the meat).

Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8. Depending on your cut of meat it may take a different amount of time. You want the meat to easily pull apart (shredded). If I'm home I like to start the slow cooker on high for an hour or so and then switch to a low setting for the remainder of the time.

***I'm not a huge fan of heavy smoked flavor, but felt that this dish needed just a touch. If you don't have smoked paprika you can either double up on the regular paprika or substitute liquid smoke for the smoked paprika.


This recipe is a good base and can be used in many dishes that I will share later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment