Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pulled Pork Tacos with Mango Corn Salsa

Here's just one of many ideas of what to do with the pulled pork. My immediate reaction was, of course, to make BBQ pulled pork sammies, but I wanted to wait a few days until the pork had developed a bit more flavor. With certain meats and soups/stews the second or third day is often much better than the first.

I make most of my meals for 2 people, but I always cook extra for left overs. In general I'll try to put a yield up when I can. The pulled pork itself made several pounds (my guestimation is about 3-4), but I didn't get a chance to put it on a scale to see the acutal yield.

Mango Corn Salsa

1 Heirloom Tomato, diced (you can easily substitute any kind of tomato here i.e. grape, beefsteak, roma)
1 Mango, peeled and diced
1 ear of Corn, cooked and kernels cut off
1 Avocado, diced
1/3 cup Pineapple, small dice (canned, fresh or frozen**)
1/3 cup Black Beans
1/4 cup Pepper (Yellow, Red or Orange), diced
2T JalapeƱos, diced (fresh or pickled)
1 Lime, juiced (start with 1/2 and taste)


In a small bowl mix all ingredients. Taste.

This salsa will yield enough for 4 people to have several tacos each. It's also highly flexible - you can bulk up on favored fruits or veggies as well as leaving certain items out if you so desire.

**Trader Joe's sells frozen Pineapple tidbits that I use in a ton of recipes. I just take a small amount out and let defrost at room temp.)



Tacos
Yield: approx 4+ people

Corn or flour tortillas (for corn heat first - I usually use a pan on the stove top giving each side about a minute then keep on a plate with a cover to keep warm)
1 head green Cabbage, shredded (I started with 1/4 head and it was enough for 6 tacos with some left over)
1/2 cup Carrots, shredded (you can purchase it already shredded)
1-2T Olive Oil
1 Lime, juiced (again start with 1/2)
1/4 tsp Cumin
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Hot Sauce (if desired), to taste
2 cups Pulled Pork, shredded and warmed

In a mixing bowl combine the cabbage, carrots, olive oil, lime juice, and seasonings.

Assemble tacos with cabbage mixture, pork and top with the mango corn salsa. Repeat as needed. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment